Having a name “SEW ALE“ Amharic word synonymous with I am inside the toilet, the project intends to change the attitude of the people by changing the environment, showing what can be done about places craving with liquid waste. Initially the programme set up mobile toilets in Addis Ababa, Megenagna bus terminals, where there is high liquid waste accumulation. Currently, is scaled its operation and set the project in Hawassa city of the Southern Nations and Nationalities People Region.
• To provide efficient environmental sanitation systems through sustainable and demand-driven approach involving active community participation;
• To impart education on health, hygiene, and sanitation to students of selected high schools in the pre-identified locations (Addis Ababa and Hawassa).
• To reduce incidence of water and sanitation related diseases;
• Construction of 10 Individual Urine-Diversion mobile toilets
• Construction of One Integrated Sanitary Complex at severely affected school
• Repairing 10 School Toilets and installation of incinerators for sanitary napkins’ disposal
• Conduct 20 awareness raising campaigns on sustainable sanitation and hygiene practices at schools and community centres;
• Strengthen/ form 2 Self Help Group members on Sustainable Sanitation and efficient water management practices;
• Produce publications on sustainable sanitation and hygiene practices.
The Project will be implemented in two pre-identified cities of Addis Ababa and Hawassa.
Stakeholders and their roles
Timret Lehiwot Ethiopiaprincipalrinciple implementing Organization.
The community in the project area is the main beneficiary. Capacity building in the form of awareness raising campaigns, I.E.C. distributions, participating in plan formulation and exposure visits will help the community to understand the magnitude and seriousness of problem of lack of sanitation, and will also appreciate the requirement of safe and sustainable sanitation systems.
The District/school administration could include ecological sanitation as one model for promotion of sanitation in problem areas (selected thematic areas)
The school staff in the selected educational centers will be attending the capacity building awareness raising campaigns/ programmes could be good motivators for popularizing proper sanitation in school areas.
Self Help Groups
Attend awareness raising programmes, share their experience and knowledge, promote, proper sanitation, educate community, form pressure groups to replicate proper sanitary programmes in other areas, through their networks.
Sustainability and Exit Strategy
The training, IEC, and involvement of the beneficiaries from the planning stage ensure that the toilets are constructed properly and they are used properly since it is a basic amenity that is being provided. The advantages of having a toilet at school, the reduction in tension of the users for shifting from open defecation to spot defecation especially for women & children, reduction in medical bill thanks to protection from water borne diseases, the improved habit of savings by SHGs, will ensure the sustainability of the project.